From Ideation to Completion: Complexity Rules Construction Planning
The lifecycle of a large-scale build is a long and often arduous process. From ideation to completion, complex infrastructure and development projects will go through many adjustment and planning stages. The bigger the project, the more complex the construction process - and the stronger the need for detailed and accurate construction project planning.
Master the Art of Construction Project Planning
Project planning for large-scale development and infrastructure is an artform - and few individuals have the skills and knowledge to manage its complexities. When challenges arise, changes to task sequencing or delays which affect the construction timeline can trigger major damages. Construction project planning which fails to factor in inherent risks can result in steep impact to project success - and profitability.
Detailed construction project planning helps minimize your exposure to risk, by breaking complex projects into smaller, more manageable tasks and sequences, to create a realistic and actionable plan. As construction projects grow in scale and scope, the use of AI for construction planning and scheduling becomes increasingly important for managing build complexity.
Smart Construction Planning Software Isn’t Optional - It’s Essential.
In an increasingly competitive construction industry, a proven track record is a must - and the best way to rise above the competition is to outperform them. It may not be that difficult to accomplish, as current statistics show that over 50% of construction project owners worldwide (and 61% in the US) have seen their construction projects fail.
Despite confidence in traditional construction project planning software and methods, the industry is ready for an upgrade - and AI-driven construction planning software offers GCs and developers a strong competitive advantage. The use of AI for construction planning and scheduling drives increased efficiency, reduces costs, and ensures delivery is completed within the constraints of the construction timeline and budget.
Best Practices & Steps for Construction Project Planning
In order to demonstrate the benefits offered by AI-driven construction planning software, it’s important to first understand the basic process and steps for construction project planning. In general, a construction project planning checklist should include:
- Identifying all players involved in the project. This includes relevant stakeholders, general contractors, subcontractors, service providers, and suppliers. It should also include governmental contacts, and other regulatory entities.
- Defining deliverables for each entity named above. Outlining the tasks, duties, and contractual responsibilities of each entity is essential to the construction project plan, as it will help determine who is held liable, should a project slip.
- Outlining correspondence methods, and delineating proper use of technology. Identify the tools and softwares used for planning and scheduling throughout the project, and define appropriate methods and modes for communicating updates and changes. This helps confirm that everyone is on the same page - and ensures that no detail or dispatch will slip through the cracks.
- Assessing required resources. What materials and resources will be required to execute the project, as expected? From building supplies to labor and specialized equipment, determining what resources are required (and when) is critical to the development of a realistic construction project plan.
- Determining task sequencing. Project planning for large-scale infrastructure and development hinges on understanding the complex relationships between tasks. Many tasks are interdependent - which means that sequencing must be as detailed as possible. Detailed sequencing reveals hidden dependencies (and their accompanying pitfalls) - elements which are essential to construction planning and ongoing construction management.
- Budget planning. Accomplishing the above tasks allows GCs to develop an accurate budget estimate, including identifying areas of risk which may warrant budget adjustments or changes - and outline best practices for managing cost increases, should they occur.
- Generating a construction timeline. When all other items on the construction project planning checklist have been completed, GCs can create a more efficient and realistic construction schedule, including progress milestones and estimated dates for review, inspection, and project delivery.
- Creating a project recovery plan. When it comes to construction, even the best-laid plans often fail. By conducting a risk assessment and creating a comprehensive project recovery plan, GCs can model contingency scenarios which help them prepare for and adjust to unforeseen events.
AI Eases the Burdens of Construction Project Planning
Effective construction project planning is an enormous undertaking. That’s why we designed ALICE Technologies.
ALICE’s AI-driven construction planning software helps GCs create the ideal construction schedule in record time. ALICE Preconstruction streamlines all of the detailed phases of the construction planning process, assessing all available data to deliver accurate budget and timeline constraints.
ALICE goes above and beyond traditional planning softwares, supporting GCs and developers throughout the entire project timeline. ALICE will help you:
Proactively manage construction timelines.
Large-scale development and infrastructure projects are inherently complex. With so many moving parts, even the most comprehensive plans experience breakdowns. To prevent cascading delays, reaction time is critical - and remedies must be implemented swiftly. ALICE enables proactive construction management, keeping GCs and developers on top of daily progression, so they can prevent and correct deviation from the construction timeline.
Prepare for the unexpected.
Natural disasters. Labor strikes. Supply chain delays. Some things just can’t be factored into a project plan from the beginning. Still, when disasters occur - they can quickly derail a large-scale build. ALICE uses a unique and powerful AI for construction planning and scheduling, so GCs can quickly analyze changing conditions in real-time - assessing millions of pathways forward from any point within the construction timeline.
Should a disaster derail your project, ALICE empowers you to identify and adopt the best course of action from your current state - adapting quickly to unpredictable occurrences.
Plan for Profitability with ALICE
When it comes to large-scale building and infrastructure projects, choosing the right construction planning software is critical to a successful project - and your bottom line.
Weigh financial impacts - before committing.
Deep customization of project constraints. Capable of analyzing millions of possible scenarios in a mere matter of minutes, ALICE enables GCs to optimize throughout the entire project lifecycle - including alignment with fund allocations, budgetary constraints, and other financial considerations.
Compare and contrast decision costs. Our side-by-side comparison of potential decision pathways allows GCs and developers to view and prioritize changes according to their specific needs. For example, a GC can choose to prioritize faster time to completion over out-of-pocket cost for additional crews, in order to avoid liquidated damages on a project - or to prioritize budget restraints, and view the direct impact of alternative scenarios to profitability.
Reduce your exposure to risk.
Recover at record speed. Comprehensive construction recovery planning reduces risk - but ALICE Manage goes beyond, to provide greater insight and flexibility throughout the entire lifecycle of a large-scale build.
ALICE’s 4D planning and visualization tools help GCs track their project's progress and maintain oversight throughout construction, so they can respond proactively to potential risks. When the unexpected occurs, simple and effective resequencing of tasks is completed in record time, revealing new scenarios which allow GCs to realign problem construction projects, and get them back on track.
Claim control over costs. ALICE enables cost tracking throughout the entire construction timeline and project lifecycle, supporting on-time, on-budget delivery - as well as project recovery. Direct, timely insight into detailed cost of progression allows GCs to maintain positive communication with project stakeholders, and adapt quickly when the unexpected occurs - avoiding unnecessary expenses.
Gain outstanding ROI.
ALICE’s AI-driven software for construction project planning offers an outstanding return on investment. Our unique features are designed to directly improve your profits - and offer value you won’t gain elsewhere.
On average, ALICE users see per-project cost improvements of 14% for labor, and 12% for equipment, significantly reducing the overall cost of construction. By revealing the ideal pathway to completion, ALICE also improves project delivery times by as much as 17%.
Read how ALICE helped this $560M project reduce their project costs by 30% - or schedule your demo now, and see how ALICE reduces the cost and duration of construction - optimizing your large construction projects for success.